New Jersey Parents are Activated to Engage in Education
Learning Heroes partnered with We Raise New Jersey and NJPTA to help local advocacy organizations support the critical role of families in promoting student achievement and school improvement throughout the state.
We started by understanding New Jersey parent mindsets about education during COVID-19. The qualitative and quantitative research explored perceptions about remote learning this past spring and expectations and concerns for the 2020-21 school year.
Overall, we found that:
- New Jersey parents are activated to engage with their child’s teachers more in the 2020-21 school year than ever before and they want more information and resources to support their child’s learning.
- New Jersey parents overwhelmingly believe their children are performing at or above grade level and have not fallen behind academically, despite school closures last spring; however, they expect much more from their schools this fall.
- The landscape is ripe to help parents have a more complete and holistic picture of their child’s achievement and thus better support their progress.
Below are tools and materials that can support dissemination of this research to a broader audience:
In addition, check out these resources for families to use in taking positive, proactive steps to support their children’s learning:
- Learning Heroes-We Raise NJ Family-Teacher Planning Tool (Elementary School; Middle School)
- Learning Heroes Ready to Partner Tools
- Learning Heroes Readiness Roadmap
- National PTA COVID-19 Resources for Families
This project was generously funded by the Charles & Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation.
*NEW JERSEY PARENTS: ACTIVATED TO ENGAGE IN EDUCATION 2020; **2019 NJSLA FOR NJ 3-10 GRADES
Learning Heroes utilizes research to understand parent and guardian mindsets around their child’s academic and developmental success, and to develop information, tools, and resources for parents and guardians. To inform the New Jersey research, we partnered with leaders from We Raise New Jersey, NJPTA, the Latino Action Network, Parent Impact, Paterson Education Fund, Project Ready, and SPAN.
Edge Research is a national research firm that partners with organizations to develop and execute quantitative and qualitative research.
We Raise NJ is a diverse coalition of organizations and associations united in our belief that New Jersey students need and deserve a world-class education to effectively compete and succeed in our rapidly changing world. We are working to confront our state’s economic and educational challenges head-on through a series of activities that break down silos, advance advocacy, and align key voices working together to promote the quality education that every student needs to be ready to live, learn, and earn after high school.
New Jersey PTA comprises over 110,000 families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of parent involvement in schools. PTA is a registered 501(c) (3) nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Membership in PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference in the education, health, and welfare of children and youth.